Guy and I spent a couple of days in Brussels working with NGO staff exploring what Common Cause means for those working close to policy-making, in communications and behaviour change campaigns.
Questions that we're exploring:
- Do people who take on CC approach come to different political conclusions?
- How likely are politicians to respond to intrinsic values?
- How can NGO community engage with this at a more fundamental level – beyond external communications?
- How do we do work that we are not personally/organizationally mandated to do?
Ideas that are being planned/explored:
- The media - working to shift journalist’s values and/or creating social movements that get coverage through traditional means (conflict, personalities, etc).
- Bringing media influencers and decision-makers out of the office and into experiential learning in nature.
- Building the potential of a community of practice in Brussels.
If you'd like to be part of the Brussels Community of Interest - come along to the next meeting, scheduled for March 7th. Thank you to Eivind for organising us all!